Richelle Gamlam is a serial expat, travel blogger, and spicy food lover who has spent the last five years living in China and traveling around Asia.
For more stories and misadventures, be sure to check out her blog Adventures Around Asia where she writes about Asia off the beaten path.
During her time in China, Richelle taught and worked in many different capacities.
As an oral English teacher she taught over 1,000 high school students at a Chinese public high school. She has also worked part-time at agencies teaching children, tutored pre-schoolers and even taught Business English to Chinese businessmen. Most recently she worked as a college counselor where she helped Chinese students get into U.S. universities.
Richelle has since quit her job to become a digital nomad exploring places, activities, and cultures most people miss in Asia.
In this episode we cover:
- What inspired Richelle to study abroad in Beijing and Xi’an
- Teaching English in China
- Why teach abroad programs may not be the right fit for you
- What is the TEFL certification?
- Do you need the TEFL certification to teach English online?
- Types of teaching jobs in China
- Salary ranges for teaching in China
- Spicy foods to try in China
TEFL Promo Code – Get 30% off with promo code “ASIAADV”.
Want to teach abroad in China?
Here are 2 more valuable resources for you!
Join Richelle’s 3-Part Training Series.
- Find a high paying job
- Learn how to teach
- Learn how to thrive in China
Join Richelle’s Facebook Community: China Teach Abroad Community.
This group is for you if you:
- Want to teach in China someday
- Are in the process of applying for jobs in China
- If you’re already a teacher in China
Connect with Richelle:
See you next time for Episode 4 where we chat with Tiffany Grant about timeshares and owning a home at the age of 26.
New to the podcast? Learn what The Thought Card is all about by listening to Episode 1.
Have you considered teaching abroad? What’s holding you back?
If you are getting value from The Thought Card, show me some love by subscribing and leaving a review! Podcast reviews are important because that’s how podcasts rank and get found more easily. It’s also how I can get awesome guests on the show like Richelle.
How to subscribe to the show?
- Head to your favorite podcast player.
- Search for “The Thought Card”.
- Find it.
- Hit Subscribe – Yay! You’re Done!
Danielle Desir Corbett paid off $63,000 of student loan debt in 4 years, bought a house at 27, and has traveled to 27 countries, including her favorites, Iceland, China, and Bermuda. Go here to learn Danielle’s incredible story, from struggling financially and in debt to finding creative ways to earn more and live on her terms. Listen to The Thought Card Podcast, where Danielle shares how you can creatively travel more and build wealth regardless of your current financial situation. Reach out to Danielle by contacting: thethoughtcard (at) gmail (dot) com.