Although Skyscanner is a popular metasearch engine that helps travelers plan and book trips, did you know that you can use Skyscanner price alerts to book cheaper flights and find the best flight deals for international travel?
Skyscanner price alert monitors flight prices and immediately notifies users of any changes. As long as your price alert is active, you’ll get email notifications whenever the price goes either up or down. This feature is free and I highly recommend using it during your next flight search to help you save money on travel.
Here’s how to set Skyscanner price alerts.
- Visit skyscanner.com – this for Skyscanner USA but there’s a variety of international branded sites like Skyscanner UK, Skyscanner Brasil, Skyscanner India, Skyscanner, Mexico and much more.
- In the “Flights” tab pick “round-trip” or “one-way”. Price alerts won’t work with multi-city flight searches.
- Enter your “from destination” and “to destination” (or use the “everywhere” feature), “depart” and “return date” and pick the “number of travelers”.
- Check any of the other applicable boxes such as “add nearby airports” and “non-stop flights only”.
- Click on the “Search Flights” button.
- After the search populates, press the “Get Price Alerts” button – you’ll see this on your left hand side.
- Enter your email and press the “Create Alert” button.
If email isn’t your thing, the alternative is to get immediate push notification alerts by downloading the Skyscanner app. This way, notifications will pop up on your phone instantly.
Also if you are no longer interested in monitoring flight prices, you can easily stop the notifications anytime.
Tips for Setting Skyscanner Price Alerts
Now that you’ve created a price alert, here are some tips for optimizing them to get the cheapest flights possible.
- Whenever you have a destination in mind, set a price alert so that you don’t miss out on any price reductions or random fare sales.
- Make sure you pick the correct airports and dates because all of the price alerts will be based on these going forward.
- If you don’t know the specific dates you want to travel, set a few price alerts for a range of dates in a particular month – it doesn’t hurt to have all of your bases covered.
- Monitor flight prices over the course of several months to build your knowledge base. Over time you’ll have a good idea of how much flights to a destination generally costs.
- Always take note of the lowest and average flight prices. As financially savvy travelers, we strive to book flights (way) below average.
- Use price alerts to figure out the most you’re willing to pay for a flight.
- Lastly, eliminate routes that become too expensive.
My Flight Price Alert Win
While searching for flights to attend a wellness retreat in Mexico City last year, I set a price alert to monitor routes from New York City to Mexico City. Since I wasn’t ready to commit to buying a ticket at the time, I set an alert to take advantage of potential deals down the road.
A few months later I received a Skyscanner email notifying me that flight price had dropped!
Without the alert, I would have never known that Volaris was having a limited-time fare sale making my flight more affordable. After getting the alert, I immediately booked discounted round-trip flights to Mexico City where I met up with friends at the SheNomads Remote Work and Wellness Retreat.
Right now, I’m using Skyscanner price alerts to monitor flights from New York City to San Juan Puerto, Rico for early July. For the past few weeks I have noticed the price fluctuation between $247 USD and $345 USD.
I’ve decided not to book yet with the hopes that prices will go back down soon.
It’s important to note that although Skyscanner simplifies flight searches by tracking flight prices; it does not predict prices which leads to the one area where I think Skyscanner can improve upon.
As my go-to for flight searches, in the future, I’d love to see Skyscanner use the data from the destination price history to predict the likeliness of the direction that prices will go in the near future. This will empower travelers to make even more informed decisions when scanning the skies.
Download the Skyscanner app and explore more helpful features like “Everywhere”.
This is a collaborative post with Skyscanner.
Find Cheap Flights With These 8 Flight Deal Websites
FREE download of websites I use to frequently find cheap flights.