Episode 11: How I Saved $289 with the Delta Companion Certificate
If round-trip tickets from New York City to San Francisco cost $317 per person (at the time of booking), how did I manage to only spend $345 for 2 round-trip tickets? I share this buy one, get one free deal, and more in today’s episode! Today we’re going to talk about the Delta SkyMiles companion certificate. If you don’t already know, the Delta SkyMiles Companion Certificate is one of the exclusive perks that come with the Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card. As a cardmember, you automatically get a companion certificate every year you renew your credit card and pay the annual fee of $195.
Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify
To some this might sound steep but hear me out.
I love the Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card because the companion certificate allows you to buy one round-trip main cabin ticket and get another round-trip main cabin ticket for free. You’re only responsible for paying the taxes and fees on the freebie.
Why is the companion certificate so beneficial?
Although the upfront cost is $195, the Delta SkyMiles companion certificate works great if you want to book a round-trip flight with your significant other, family or friend that costs more than the credit card’s annual fee.
Since most round-trip flights within the U.S. generally costs more than $195, you’ll reap the benefits right off the back by redeeming your companion certificate.
Remember the goal here is to offset the credit card fee so use the companion certificate on flights which cost more than $195.
How to find your Delta SkyMiles companion certificate:
Step 1: Log In to Delta.com with your Delta SkyMiles information.
Step 2: Navigate to “SkyMiles” → “Manage Your Account”.
Step 3: Next go to “My Delta” → “My Wallet”.
Step 4: Inside “My Wallet” click on “Credits and Certificates”.
Step 5: Select your certificate and go on to booking your flights.
Important things to remember:
- The companion certificate can only be used on domestic flights within the contiguous 48 states. That means if you’re based in the states, no round-trip flights to Alaska, Hawaii, USVI or Puerto Rico.
- The round-trip companion certificate has to be used on domestic main cabin or business class fares.
- Both your ticket and your companion tickets has to be booked on the same flight.
- You have to pay for taxes and fees of no more than $75 for domestic round-trip flights.
- If you cancel your itinerary, you can’t reuse your companion certificate.
- You must book and fly by the date listed on your certificate.
- Can’t accrue miles from your companion certificate.
- Can only claim this through delta.com.
- You have to pay for these tickets with your Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card perks:
- First checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Access to priority boarding.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- 2x Miles on Delta purchases like flights booked on Delta.com, seat upgrades and in-flight purchases.
If you’re interested in the Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card sign up and get 60,000 SkyMiles (equivalent to a round-trip flight to Europe) after spending $2,000 in 3 months. This is a limited time offer.
Not sure when to book the cheapest flights, check out Episode 5 where we chat about the latest airfare trends and the best times to book a flight deal.
What’s your favorite thing about earning and redeeming points and miles?
To listen to more episodes of The Thought Card don’t forget to find us on your favorite podcast player – Apple Podcasts (iTunes), Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher and leave us a thoughtful review.
How to subscribe to the show?
- Head to your favorite podcast player.
- Search for “The Thought Card”.
- Find it.
- Hit Subscribe!
Danielle Desir Corbett paid off $63,000 of student loan debt in 4 years, bought a house at 27, and has traveled to 27 countries, including her favorites, Iceland, China, and Bermuda. Go here to learn Danielle’s incredible story, from struggling financially and in debt to finding creative ways to earn more and live on her terms. Listen to The Thought Card Podcast, where Danielle shares how you can creatively travel more and build wealth regardless of your current financial situation. Reach out to Danielle by contacting: thethoughtcard (at) gmail (dot) com.
Well done Danielle. Amazing between doing homework and getting points how we can circle the globe for hundreds of dollars. Blows my mind.
Traveling more affordably is such a beautiful thing! Hey, I think you would find lots of value from joining our new Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/financiallysavvytravelers. Looking forward to seeing you inside.